Campervan hire Insurance


Basically there are two types of campervan insurance policies, one for agencies and one for renters. For campervan agencies there are a few requirements that you want coverage for.

These include; Competitive premiums which properly reflect the risks associated with insuring campervans as compared with traditional self drive hire risks; Cover for fire damage to the campervans caused by heating or cooking appliances covered as standard (subject to a 25% co-insurance clause); Coverage for theft of the campervan by the hirer is included as standard (subject to a 25% co-insurance clause); Unlimited mileage. Hire out your motor caravan for longer journeys without penalty; Unlimited hires. This maximizes the return to the dealer from the campervan by hiring it out as often as possible without being charged more by the insurer; Flexibility to allow foreign use of the campervans at sensible rates; Full annual coverage for campervans This ensures the vehicles are insured whether out on rental or parked at the agencies premises; Free off hire coverage for up to four named drivers on the agencies policy; Quotations generally available within 24 hours of your enquiry being received, and; Free uninsured loss recovery service included automatically.

For the campervan renter there are a few requirements they should be interested in. These include: 24 hour emergency service; full comprehensive insurance for all drivers, regardless of age; Standard insurance on the vehicle you hire to cover damage to the vehicle and to the property contained therein, and; The option to upgrade your insurance cover which reduces the excess amount. Excess amount is the dollar amount the driver is liable for in the event of vehicle, other vehicle or property damage. Excess amount coverage usually runs anywhere from $25/day to $50/day depending on the amount of excess you want covered. In addition to Excess Reduction Options there is usually the option of a one time payment of approximately $250 per hire to provide a NIL excess and covers you for accidental damage to the overhead and under body sections of the campervan, unlimited windscreen and tire coverage, and towing and vehicle recovery costs from roads where permission to travel on these roads has been granted (it does not cover single vehicle roll-over). It should that there are exclusions in all of these policies that deal with negligence. Negligence is defined as: Damages immediately resulting from (1) off road driving, (2) backing up, (3) driving into overhead objects, (4) contact between the undercarriage (including tires and wheels) and rough ground, (5) misuse of the slide out functionality, (6) misuse of the awnings, (7) use of the water tanks during freezing temperatures (in which case the water tanks should be empty); Deliberate or willful damage caused by the client or by a guest of the client; Interior damage; Personal items; Damages due to failure to maintain fluid levels (e.g. engine and transmission fluids) or tire pressure; Damages due to misuse of the braking system (e.g. overheating) or transmission system (e.g. overdrive); Damages due to driving illegally under the influence of alcohol or other drugs; Damages that occur while traveling in restricted areas; Damages that occur when the vehicle is carrying more passengers than the number of the vehicle's seat belts; Damages consequent of failure to use the specified fuel, and; Damages that occur while the vehicle is operated by anyone under the legal driving age or without proper license.

Regardless of you situation, be it an agency owner or a renter, it pays to have good insurance and to know exactly what you are paying for and exactly what it covers. Failure to do so could mean cash out of your pocket and it could be a large amount of cash at that.

Back to Top